Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Vegetarian Bagoong

One of my Filipino Dish is the Kare-kare, it's combination of vegetables cooked in peanuts sauce. It's super delicious! I will post the recipe here in a bit.

Anyway, I've had vegetarian bagoong which is a in its normal state, a shrimp paste. The kind that is used for Kare-kare is the sauteed with garlic and onion with some sugar to give it that salty sweet taste. I've had veggie bagoong though in Likha Diwa in UP and always wondered how they make the bagoong. They sell them in little bottles but I can't travel all the way to Quezon City from Taguig just for a little bottle of Bagoong. So I met Rose at the Vipassana retreat and she shared her wonderful recipe of the bagoong. It's super easy.

Veggie Bagoong

1/2 Kilo of Carrots
A small can of black salted Tausi beans
A small can of yellow salted Tausi beans
half a garlic
1 onion

Mash the yellow and black Tausi beans and saute it with the chopped garlic and onions. Grate the carrots. Make sure to make fine because what you want to do is imitate the texture of Bagoong. Add the carrots in the pan and wallah! You're done.

You can use the bagoong with all sorts of Filipino dishes like, Pinakbet, Binagoongang Eggplant/ maybe tofu, or of course my favorite! Kare kare

0 comments:

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online